A brief History in Time at Boonsboro United Methodist Church
The Boonsboro Methodist Church was established in 1891 under the direction of the Rev. Thompson. The first four stewards were C. W. Oglesby and his three brothers, Tom, Dibrel and Albert.
Initially, they had no church building so meetings were held at various times in the old Masonic Lodge, Trinity Episcopal Church, and a two-room school building.
The present plot of land was donated by Dr. and Mrs. Frank Nelson . The first building was dedicated on the last Sunday in September 1897. The first parsonage was located in Big Island, however a few years later one was built on the church site. In 1938 another parsonage was built and it is currently used as our "Vineyard House," a place for gatherings and Sunday School.
Over the years the church became part of a five-church charge comprising Boonsboro, Cove, Holcomb Rock, Mt. Gilead and Reusens churches. The charge remained until 1959, after which Boonsboro and Cove established a charge.
In 1962 the church body elected to undertake the construction of a new building on the existing site and it was completed and dedicated on January 6,1963. In 1964 Boonsboro became a station church as Cove and Big Island Churches joined to form their own charge.
Boonsboro United Methodist Church has been served by a long line of dedicated leaders, both Clergy and Lay Persons, as well as generations of dedicated families, too numerous to list here, but to whom we are forever grateful and indebted. May God enrichly bless them.
A special, heartfelt thanks to the long line of Christians, both past and present, who have worked to make our Church a vital part of witness and service to the Boonsboro Community.